Friday, March 13, 2009

Original Ideas





While cleaning out some boxes, I found old projects from college. What you see above is from a book making class I took in my freshman year. I created my own paper clip fonts, that was then pressed into the paper and bound. For the project, I decided to reinterpret the Dick & Jane - See Spot Run books. I was playing with the idea of readability and how much of the word you actually need to see before your brain fills it in. (click on book above to see bigger and clearer)

I thought this was such a great original idea back then - But when I started studying graphic design and graphic design history, I soon realized this wasn't such an original idea. Futurist artists back in the late 1800's early 1900's had already started to play with typography. Then discovered a bunch of designers and artists that had also played with typography. So much for my "original" idea. But it seems, every couple of years someone new pushes the boundaries of typography - Every designer pushes it a bit further than the last one. Below are some artists and designers that played with typography way before I did.

Some what in order: Piet Zwart, H.N Werkman, Lucien Bernhard, A.M. Cassandre, El Lissitzky, Alexander Rodchenko, Willem Sandberg, Robert Massin, Paul Rand, Alvin Lustig, Saul Bass, George Tscherny, Ivan Chermayeff , Rosmarie Tissi, Wolfgang Weingart, Dan Friedman, April Greiman, Louis Fili, Carin Goldberg, Paula Scher, Rudy Vanderlans, Katherine McCoy, Edward Fella and I'm stopping at David Carson. (Photo above in same order of names, left to right. I'm sure I skipped a few artists and designers here and there - this is a small slice of graphic design history.)

No comments:

Post a Comment